The Horrific Effects of Substance Abuseby Opinion Express August 12, 2018 0 comments
The American pop singer Demi Lovato has spoken out about her battle with addiction, saying she needed “time to heal and focus on my sobriety” days after media reports said she was taken to a Los Angeles hospital suffering from a suspected overdose. “I have always been transparent about my journey with addiction,” the 25-year-old Grammy-nominated recording artist wrote on Instagram. “What I’ve learned is that this illness is not something that disappears or fades with time. It is something I must continue to overcome and have not done yet.”
Lovato, who has spoken openly in the past about her history of drug and alcohol abuse, thanked God, her friends and her fans, saying that their positive thoughts and prayers had helped her navigate “this difficult time”. She also thanked her family, team and the staff at Cedars-Sinai hospital in Hollywood, who she said had been at her side since she was admitted on July 24 .
“Without them I wouldn’t be here writing this letter to all of you,” Lovato wrote. “I now need time to heal and focus on my sobriety and road to recovery,” she said. “The love you have all shown me will never be forgotten and I look forward to the day where I can say I came out on the other side. I will keep fighting.”
The New Mexico-born performer rose to fame on Disney Channel shows Camp Rock and Sonny with a Chance before forging a pop career with hits such as Skyscraper and Sorry Not Sorry.
‘Dismiss charges against Weinstein’
Harvey Weinstein’s lawyers want a court to throw out sexual assault charges against him, citing reasons on Friday including friendly emails from a woman who accused him of rape. Lawyers for the former movie titan-turned-#MeToo villain filed notice they’ll seek dismissal of the case. Among other arguments, they say the grand jury that indicted Weinstein should have been told about emails from one of his three accusers in the case.
One message, less than a month after the alleged rape in March 2013, expresses appreciation for “all you do for me,” according to copies of emails included in the court filing. Another message, days later, says “it would be great to see you again”.
“Miss you big guy,” another message added a few months later.
Over the ensuing months and years, the two continued warm exchanges. The woman wrote she was “so happy you saw me today” and very honored!” after one get-together in October 2013 and exchanging brief updates on their lives. “There is no one else I would enjoy catching up with that understands me quite like you,” the woman, who has not been publicly identified, wrote in January 2014. After saying she had a schedule conflict and couldn’t make it to a hotel to see him in February 2017, the woman explained: “I love you, always do. But I hate feeling like a booty call,” with a smiling-face symbol afterward.
Indecent Proposal remake soon
Indecent Proposal, the 1993 thriller about a billionaire who offers a couple $1m to sleep with the wife, is to receive a remake. Collider reports that Paramount Players is producing a new version of the film, and has hired Girl on the Train and Secretary screenwriter Erin Cressida Wilson to write the script. Directed by British filmmaker Adrian Lyne and adapted from Jack Engelhard’s film of the same name, the original Indecent Proposal starred Woody Harrelson and Demi Moore as a financially stricken couple reckoning with the repercussions of a deal made with a powerful businessman. The film made more than $250m at the global box office.
Despite its commercial success, Indecent Proposal received scathing reviews. The Guardian’s Derek Malcolm described it as “nothing more than a skilfully organised and decorated fantasy, not to be treated seriously for one moment”. The film won Razzie awards for worst picture, worst screenplay and worst supporting actor (for Harrelson).
Any proposed remake of Indecent Proposal will likely have to wrestle with the issues of sexual impropriety and unequal power dynamics raised by the #MeToo and #Time’sUp movements. At the time of its release, the original film was criticised by feminists for continuing a “disturbing trend” in films of showing women being sold for money or as a prize.
Writer: The Pioneer
Source: The Pioneer