Subramanian Swamy slams 2G Verdict: Advice PM Modi to be on guard for 2019by Opinion Express December 22, 2017 1 comment
The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader Subramanian Swamy while addressing the media on the 2G spectrum scam verdict that came out on Thursday morning said that the court’s decision was not a setback but an aberration which should serve as a lesson for the Prime Minister.
The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader Subramanian Swamy while addressing the media on the 2G spectrum scam verdict that came out on Thursday morning said that the court’s decision was not a setback but an aberration which should serve as a lesson for the Prime Minister. “This is not a setback at all, its an aberration as the law officers were not serious on fighting against corruption. So, I hope the PM takes a lesson from this. We must now fight corruption on war footing,” Subramanian Swamy said while addressing the media. Swamy even suggested that Centre set up a war commission against corruption as people will otherwise raise questions against the Modi government in 2019. Swamy also said that there were some in BJP who were not really interested in fighting corruption.
Swamy took all credit for initiating the 2G scam case through a letter that he wrote to then PM Manmohan Singh. After Singh did not take action, Swamy said he approached higher courts to get thing moving. Calling the judgement given by the special CBI court earlier in the day: bad, Swamy said that it should be appealed in the higher court. “Today’s judgment is a very bad judgement, this must be appealed in higher court,” he added. “Judge says earlier there was a lot of enthusiasm, but later it became worse and worse. Judge also said counsels were lackadaisical. This is a big condemnation of the Govt’s controlling of the case,” Swamy added. He also said, the only reason that the case acquired traction initially was because he himself was fighting the case and that later he was sidelined by the norms.
Talking about the former AG Mukul Rohatgi, Swamy said that he had opposed the former’s appointment as AG since he had appeared for some of the accused companies. “Former AG Mukul Rohatgi has welcomed this verdict, I had written to PM opposing his appointment as AG. Rohatgi had appeared for some of the accused companies,” he said.
Earlier in the day, CBI had said that it would file an appeal against the 2G scam case verdict by a special court, which acquitted all the 16 accused rejecting the case presented by the agency. “The judgement relating to the 2G scam case of today has been prima facie examined and it appears that the evidence adduced to substantiate the charges by the prosecution has not been appreciated in its proper perspective by the learned court. The CBI will be taking necessary legal remedies in the matter,” CBI spokesperson Abhishek Dayal said.
Former telecom minister A Raja and DMK MP Kanimozhi were today acquitted by the special court in the 2G spectrum scam case. Fifteen other accused in the case and three companies were also acquitted.
Swamy shared confidence that he will ensure conviction for all the high and mighty architect of 2G scam in the higher courts wherein CBI & ED will file an appeal.