International News: What’s New?by Opinion Express November 4, 2018 0 comments
Pirates of the Caribbean would no be longer the same, Johnny Depp leaves its cast.
Johnny Depp will not appear in any further Pirates of the Caribbean films, according to reports. Original screenwriter Stuart Beattie nodded when it was suggested that Depp’s time as the star of the series was over. “I think he’s had a great run,” he said. “Obviously, he’s made that character his own, and it’s become the thing that he’s most famous for now. And kids all over the world love him as that character, so I think it’s been great for him. It’s been great for us, so I’m just very, very happy about it.”
Depp, 55, has played the louche Captain Jack Sparrow in five films over 15 years in the Disney franchise, most recently in 2017’s Dead Men Tell No Tales. Recently, it was reported that Disney was considering rebooting the series by drafting in Deadpool writers Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick. The previous films — inspired by a fairground ride — have in total made more than $3bn, but there have, broadly speaking, been diminishing returns with each episode.
Depp will next be seen in Harry Potter prequel Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald. The actor has experienced a backlash amid claims of domestic violence from ex-wife Amber Heard, as well as counterclaims of financial blackmail.
The actor’s finances have also come under scrutiny after a lawsuit filed in May by former bodyguards attacked Depp’s record on wages and working conditions. In July, he was sued by a crew member allegedly punched by the actor on the set of a film about the murder of Notorious BIG. A month later, the film’s planned release was shelved.
Cox to take over BBC Radio 2 show
Sara Cox will take over BBC Radio 2’s Drivetime show from Simon Mayo and Jo Whiley after the pair’s departure was announced last week. Mayo has presented Drivetime for eight years but said he would be leaving to focus on writing after only a few months co-presenting with Whiley in what proved to be a divisive change of format. Whiley will remain with the station but move to a 7 pm-9 pm slot from January. Cox became favourite to take over as presenter and has now been confirmed in the role. Cox, who said she was “proud” to take on the 5pm-7pm slot, had previously been heavily tipped to take over presenting duties on Chris Evans’s Breakfast Show, but lost out to Zoë Ball.
Cox said of being handed the time slot: “I’ve been proud to be part of the Radio 2 family for a few years now and the opportunity to present such a big show as Drivetime — playing fantastic music and hopefully making people smile as they cook tea or head home after a day’s graft — is the icing on what is already a very brilliant cake. “I’m beyond chuffed to be given this role and to directly quote my mum on hearing the good news, it is indeed ‘fandabbyruddydozy’.” The BBC has not yet announced when Cox will begin presenting Drivetime.
Cox has experience on the station, most recently as a stand-in presenter on the Breakfast Show. She joined the BBC in 1999 and worked on Radio 1’s Breakfast Show. There was consternation from some audience members when the Drivetime show was reformatted.
Yayoi Kusama on ‘Chinese fakes’
Celebrated Japanese artist Yayoi Kusama is considering legal action against the organisers of several exhibitions in China made up entirely of fake works credited to her. Counterfeit works by Kusama and her fellow contemporary Japanese artist Takashi Murakami have been shown in at least six Chinese cities since the spring, according the artists’ lawyers. Most of the exhibitions were free of charge but a joint Kusama-Murakami event in Changsha, Hunan province, charged a US$10 admission fee, Japanese media said. Earlier this month, organisers shut down an exhibition in Shanghai after receiving a written warning from Kusama’s legal team, but the show in Changsha is still open to the public. Kusama’s lawyers are trying to identify the organisers of the other fraudulent exhibitions and could pursue both civil and criminal action for copyright infringement and violations of Chinese laws, Japan’s public broadcaster NHK said. Murakami’s lawyer, Hiroshi Kamiyama, told the Nikkei Asian Review he was considering taking similar action, describing the fake exhibitions as “extremely malicious”.
Writer: The Pioneer
Source: The Pioneer