Cannes Film Festival Warned Participants Against Indulging In Sexual Harassment

Cannes Film Festival Warned Participants Against Indulging In Sexual Harassment

by May 1, 2018 0 comments

Cannes Film Festival Warned Participants Against Indulging In Sexual HarassmentThe authorities at the Cannes film festival have cautioned the participants against getting involved in sexual harassment.

The MeToo campaign following the revelations of sexual harassment by tycoon Harvey Weinstein has had an effect on the Cannes film festival as well. Participants will be given fliers warning “Proper Behaviour Required” as part of an anti-sexual harassment campaign at the May 8-19 event.

The top women’s rights official for the French government announced that she reached a deal with Cannes organisers for the campaign. It will include written warnings urging appropriate behavior and a hotline for victims and witnesses to report abuse.

Secretary of State for Women’s Affairs Marlene Schiappa noted that Cannes is one of the places where disgraced Hollywood film producer Harvey Weinstein allegedly raped and harassed women. Schiappa’s office says the French government is urging other festivals and events to join the effort.

Film festivals have been soul-searching since the Weinstein scandal, rewriting codes of conduct and redoubling gender equality efforts.

The setting up of an anti-sexual harassment hotline at the film festival in May is an important measure to prevent sexual harassment. “We have set up a partnership with the Cannes film festival to tackle sexual harassment,” Schiappa said. The telephone hotline is for victims or witnesses to report aggressors. “One of the rapes that Harvey Weinstein is accused of happened at Cannes, and so the festival cannot not act,” the minister said. Schiappa is presumably referring to the allegation of rape made by actor Asia Argento, which she alleged occurred during the festival in 1997. However, Weinstein has been accused of a number of instances of inappropriate behaviour at the festival, including by actors Alice Evans and Judith Godrèche.

Weinstein has denied all allegations of non-consensual sexual activity. Schiappa said the measures were being established not just to protect actors but all people working in or around the film industry.

Writer: AP

Courtesy: The Pioneer

No Comments so far

Jump into a conversation

No Comments Yet!

You can be the one to start a conversation.

Your data will be safe!Your e-mail address will not be published. Also other data will not be shared with third person.